Monday, October 27, 2008

Melbourne Marathon

October 19 was a date that I had been counting down to on my calendar at work. It was the date that I became one of those crazy people who decide to run a half marathon (21.1km).

I was really doubtful that I would be able to do it, especially after hurting my leg. But I did! With a final time of 2 hours and 22 seconds.

It was the best feeling running onto the MCG!!!

Me and Carli (a runner who is crazier than me and manages to talk me into these things!) were sprinting, racing each other to the finish line. (she beat me by 2 seconds). We actually turned up late for the start. So there were only a couple of people running with us, and we couldn't see anybody else. It made the start easier - in that we didn't have to walk at the start, or jostle and dodge people... but it did feel really strange not having that big build up. In the end we caught up to everyone, and that was very satisfying.

When we got up to the 10km mark we were asked to move to the side and this motorbike with a camera came along, and there were two Ethiopians and a Kenyan who were doing the marathon. They were just sprinting along! So that might be my 2 seconds of fame (depending on whether they were zoomed in on the runners or not). And to think that they started half an hour after us!




No comments: