Friday, September 26, 2008

Running

About three years ago I started running. I did the couch to 5k running program and entered a few 5km fun runs. Then I did a triathlon... and then nothing until I entered the Run Melbourne 10km fun run. I used to run 5km and wonder why on earth people would want to run for longer than half an hour. Then I got talked into trying the 10km run. I figured I would run half, walk for a bit and then run again. In the end I ran the whole way and did it in 55 minutes! I was so happy at the end, I couldn't believe that I had done it.
In 12 days time I am going to enter in the Melbourne Marathon and run the half marathon (21.1km). Some people (well probably most people) will think that I am crazy. I was going to only enter the 10km again... but I couldn't see a challenge in that (unless I just tried to beat my previous time).
I have joined a running group, and it has really challenged me to push myself out of my comfort zone. One morning I got up at 4:30am and we went for a 15km run. It took us an hour and a half. And then I went to work!!! I was so pumped when I got to work, telling everyone that I did it... it was the furthest I have ever run.

Then while we were on the Penguin Holiday, I did a run. I didn't want to fall behind the others in the running group, since I knew they were going to be doing a 17km run that day. I mapped it out in the melways and planned my route. I was going to run along the main road (since they had a really good bike track there) and run to the general store that is half way to San Remo and back.

Things started off well, and I even stopped to take a photo of the sun rising over the paddocks.
I came across a feral cat that looked like it was going to pounce on me. I saw the Amaze'n'Things house with the tap turned off. I tried to see koalas as I ran past the koala park. I kept running, and was almost wondering what would happen if that general store didn't exit anymore! Would I just keep running and find myself on the bridge to San Remo?

Finally, the general store was in sight! I turned around for the run home. It had seemed to take forever to get halfway! Then my foot started to cramp. I kept going. But it got worse. I didn't want to walk the whole way home, so eventually I stopped and tried to stretch it out. It worked for a while, but I did have to stop another couple of times before I got home.
I made it home, and it took almost exactly 2 hours. Later that day we drove to Churchill Island, and we measured the distance in the car... and I found out that I actually ran something like 19.4km!!!
Needless to say, I am feeling a bit more confident about the half marathon now!!!
http://www.melbournemarathon.com.au/
Edited to add: I've had a bit of an injury around my right knee the last week or so. This has pushed out my training plan, I hope I will be ok for the race.

No comments: